How to Make Your Paper Longer
Any form of writing can at times be an agonizing process. Well, not everyone has a knack for writing! For students, it is much worse because they have no option, they have assignments and term papers that require lots and lots of writing. You will often find a student with more than one writing assignment. Obviously, it can be quite stressful especially with all the requirements that need fulfilling before the paper can be termed as being complete.
The Word count or the number of pages is one such requirement. Despite having finished writing, you will in some cases find that you’ve not achieved the required length and that can be quite stressful.
You’ve not attained the required paper length and time is running out, what do you do? Majority of students have resorted to what I may describe as not smart” ways of getting the right length such as using formatting tricks, fluff, and filler content. There are smarter ways of getting the right length without compromising the readability of your paper.
Check out these tips on how to write a longer article:
How to Make Your Paper Longer, Before Writing
Writing a good paper is a process that takes time and requires thorough preparation. Being prepared puts you in a position where you can comfortably write your paper reaching the required length without a hustle. Some students have the habit of rushing through the paper. Once they have the topic, they don’t take the time to do research, including to organize their thoughts. Here are three things that you can do to make your paper longer before writing:
– this is a rather crucial part of writing. It is vital that you be knowledgeable on the topic at hand. Well, how else are you going to get the information you need for writing? You can write as much as you can as long as its factual information, and you’re not just repeating yourself. Research is the only way to have all the facts that you need.
Outline the main points
– from the moment that you first started writing essays and such papers alike; one of the rules was always to describe your main points. Other than giving flow to your work, it makes your article longer. It guides you to elaborate on points further, helping you increase the length of the article.
Think outside the box” –
so you are done with research and have established the main points, but then you realize that it may not be enough to reach the required word count. It is at this stage that you may have to think beyond the given topic to get information to add to your paper. However, only do this if you are confident that there’s no more information that you can divulge and be careful not to divert too much from the main subject, only broaden the scope.
How to Make Your Essay Longer: While Writing
While writing there are a couple of things you can do to make your article longer. In fact, it is this stage you have a chance of smartly ensuring that you increase the length of your paper.
– giving examples to further back your points is an effective way of not only providing evidence to your readers but also increasing the word count of your essay. You have the liberty of using more than one example but then be cautious not to overdo it.
– using quotes, just like examples, supports your points. Cite your sources as a way of giving more proof to your readers. However, don’t just use them just for the sake of it, this can distort the quality of your paper.
Transitional words and phrases
– these include words such as:
- As well as
- not to mention
- by the same token
- coupled with
- in the same fashion
- equally important
- in the light of
- to say nothing of
- as well as
- together with
- of course
This is just to mention a few. These words and phrases are often used in essays to link and introduce ideas. They help to create a connection between sentences and eventually give flow to your paper. Such phrases not only provide readability to your essay but also help you increase your word count.
How to Write a Longer Paper: After writing
Some topics that you might come across in your writing might be having insufficient information resources. You might exhaust your ideas for writing before you hit your target word count. There are ways you can use to write a longer paper even after you have exhausted your content, explored below:
Go through the Introduction and Conclusion:
The ideas that you had in mind while starting your essay might evolve as you write the rest of the article. If you began with the introduction, you should reread it and confirm if you left out any critical information that’s vital for making the reader understand your reasoning. The conclusion should bear a summary of your main points as well as proving a recommendation to the reader for their consideration.
Have someone proofread your essay:
having your paper looked at by someone else plays an important role to your essay as he or she will be able to identify the tiny details that you skipped. The universal perspective of the author might mislead you to overlook some detailed information in the story. There will be some part that might be confusing or hard to grasp. Take note of these areas and as you go through your essay. Also, revising it as you add more information to make it easier for your readers to understand the areas of contention.
Read your paper out aloud:
this will make you aware of the syntactical and grammatical flaws that you might not have noticed or your editing software did not identify. Rephrase the sentences to fix these errors and add a bit of more details to boost your word count. You might also realize that some parts of your essay will require you to add more information. This will increase the word count and lengthen the paper a bit.
Take a break.
You might be stuck or just out of any more ideas, and you seem to be making no breakthrough. Break away from the writing for a snack, a walk or phone call. This will break the monotony of writing, and when you come back to read through the paper, you will have a fresh perspective. You will also get new ideas that you will insert into your paper making it longer.
Have you tutor go over your paper
– Most professors, teachers or their assistants are willing and available to go through your paper before you submit it. You can even make an appointment with them to go over the essay with you if more time is available. They will offer you tips on how to better approach the prompt. They will also identify errors that you might not have. After all, who is better placed for this role apart from the one who will grade the paper?
Reading the question or prompt over and over
will give you a clearer understanding of the task at hand especially for those topics that you’ve a hard time wrapping your head around. You should do this especially after you’ve concluded, bearing in mind the following questions:
Have you answered all the questions in the prompt?
- Did you provide extra information to back your arguments?
- Did you omit information that might make your arguments more understandable?
- Have you satisfied other instructional requirements apart from length?
- If any of your answers suggest a shortfall, then revisit your paper paying attention to the particular area of interest. Doing the rectifications will make your essay longer.
if you included an outline at the beginning of your article as a guide for the path you will take, it is necessary you go back to it and review it. You might have skipped some points that might lead to increasing both the value and length of your essay.
Writing is fun when you’ve mastered such tips. Otherwise, it ends up being rather stressful and apparently not fun at all. For students, it is more hectic because it is compulsory to write papers as part of your grading, and whether you’re passionate about that or not is quite frankly irrelevant. Therefore, it is your responsibility to devise ways of making the process easy and enjoyable. Meeting specific requirements as part of producing a high-quality paper, and paper length is one such requirement.
Other interesting articles